Monday, June 15, 2009

Lækre!

So my favorite thing about living at our apartment in Amager is our cute little kitchen. It's a pretty tight squeeze, but we've fixed some delicious meals already...lots of fresh veggies with pasta, chicken, tacos...and everything has been awesome. Denmark is known for many of its food choices--the most obvious one probably being its pastries, which are referred to as Weinerbrød here. Yes, they are delicious, but many other things are delicious here as well. I've been trying not to treat myself to pastries TOO often. On our trips & study tours we've been exposed to some excellent danish cuisine, including lots of fish--particularly Salmon and Herring (yes mom & dad, I've eaten the herring, too)--breads out the wazoo, liverpaste--which is a liver pâté, and I've tried it and may possibly eat it another time except for the fact that I avoid red meat--and many super fresh vegetables! Denmark is also well known for its dairy products including cheese and butter...it's no surprise that Denmark, Wisconsin (where my Danish relatives are from) continues to be a dairy farming town! A favorite breakfast choice in Denmark is an openfaced sandwich with freshly baked bread, fresh cheese, and a few veggies on top such as radishes or peppers.

Anyway, I've tried lots of Danish cuisine, but we haven't exactly tried fixing any yet...that may be a battle for when I return home...

Tonight Kayla and I battled an American favorite with a little Danish twist. I try to eat vegetarian as much as possible, and Kayla eats vegetarian quite often, too, so we made Black Bean Burgers. They were super lækre, tasty! Kayla made the burgers with black beans, bread crumbs, and some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. We fixed them up with some sauteed mushrooms & onions, swiss cheese, and I put some tomatoes on mine. The Danish twist was the fresh rolls we bought at the Bakery down the street. They were absolutely delicious, despite the fact that I don't know exactly what kind of rolls they were. Yum!

We finished our very healthy dinner with a little treat from our bakery...

Cookie, Chocolate Icing, Strawberry Cream Filling, and Strawberries.
At some point I'll try to take some pictures of my Danish food before I devour it...but for now, this will have to do!

Tomorrow we're heading to the Kastallet, which is a Fortress on the northern shore of København. My friend Tory got some awesome pictures there on Sunday, and tomorrow is supposed to be pretty, too, so we're excited! Check back for some great pictures and other news...there are lots of fun things coming in the near future!

2 comments:

Mom said...

I can't decide which looks better, Ree... the black bean burger or the bakery treat! Is it fresh strawberry season in Copenhagen??

marie said...

Mmmmmhmm. I resisted buying a carton of fresh strawberries at a market yesterday because they were 25 Kroner, which is about $5. But yes. Strawberries are in!